Hunthill House
The Rutherford estate at Scraisburgh, near Jedburgh in Roxburghshire.
The name Rutherford (Rutherfurd) is one of the oldest in Scotland and accounts of the name date from the 12th century. The first Rutherfords of Hunthill originated when Robert Rutherfurd of Chatto was granted lands in the west part of Scraisburgh, commonly known as Hunthill, Roxburghshire, and his descendants were known as the Rutherfords of Hunthill. The first Lord Rutherford, Andrew Rutherford, son of William Rutherford of Wrightslands, was created in 1661 in recognition of his successful army career. He was created Earl of Teviot in 1663. He named as his heir Thomas Rutherford of Hunthill and on the latter’s death in 1668, the title passed to his brothers. After the death of Robert, 4th Lord Rutherford in 1724 the title was contested and later became dormant. Before his death Robert had already disposed Hunthill to Thomas Rutherford of Wells.
The distinguished lines of Hunthill House hide a hard history. It stands on the site of an original tower house which was burnt down following the Battle of Flodden in 1513. Its historical connections go even further back. King Robert the Bruce granted the Lands of Hunthill to Sir James Douglas, the Earl of Douglas, in the fourteenth century and in 1466 they passed to the Rutherfords, in which family they remained until 1790. Hunthill returned to the Rutherfords in 1987 after about 200 years outwith the family. Its current form dates essentially from the middle of the eighteenth century, although it retains its sixteenth-century core.